Sunday, January 9, 2011

take-off & landing

So here I am, in the room that shall be my home for the next year. Lying in the bed and reflecting about the last 2 days...
I am just glad, that I had a pen and paper with me at the airport, so that I could write down some thoughts I had at the probably most emotinal moment, shortly after saying good-bye to my mum - while I received so many lovely sms - and shortly before entering the plane. This also was the moment that I realized an amazing happening in me. Despite my difficulties in making decisions, my usual uncertainty and the sentimentality I felt in this particular moment, I totally, for 100% knew that this would be the right decision to make. At this particular moment, waiting for the boarding and watching all these strangers that somehow - made by destiny/karma/god/etc - where sharing this minutes with me, within me the question arose if this is end, a certain part or actually just the real beginning of my adventures?!
Speaking of adventures, I can totally include my journey to this concern. After landing in Hannover and waiting for my luggage I missed my first train to Leer (yeah - I know for german-speaking ppl. this city really sounds funny, I am wondering if the DeutscheBahn always writes "Leer (Ostfriesl.)" to make sure everybody understands that this really is a city :D) by 3 minutes and had to wait for 2 hours then in Hannover. At a really crowded central station, the DB-guy told me that if I am not able to switch in Leer to my train for Groningen within 5 minutes, I would have to spend the night there, I did some Hannover-Sightseeing and ate at McDonalds.
4 hours, and a interesting conversation concerning the train-doors later, I saw 3 lovely people running at me at the Groningen central station, realizing that Aiesecers are awesome everywhere in the world ;)
Three wonderful girls (including my supercool buddy Claire) then brought me to my studenthouse. The room (1E9 - if you wanna visit me) was already equipped with everything I need, and additionally with an austrian flag on the wall, although I am still not sure if that is not a little bit too patriotic?! Moreover it provides an amazing view over Groningen. In the living room I have so far met approx. half of my 25 roommates and I somehow have the feeling that I will need loads of self-discipline in order to not party too much in here.
After a good first night - in which only my neighbour who started watching a dutch-tv-show at ~4.30 was a little bit annoying I had breakfast at McDonalds (yeah I know its lame, but it was a Sunday -> stores closed). BTW why is there no Tomato + Salad in the QuarterPounder here in Groningen??
A cool room mate who studies something like neurology (somehow I remember what my roommates study better than there names) helped me setting up the internet so that I could do my first Groningen-facebook-post - yaaaay. As almost all my roommates are from the Netherlands it is just a matter of time, until you will also read my first post in dutch :)
In ther afternoon I had my only little cultureshock as I realized that doing sightseeing in Groningen (thanks to the Aiesecers guiding me around) just takes about 45 minutes, instead of 4 hours that I needed in Vienna to show some Munich-girls the main sights a few weeks ago.

So lying here in the bed, even more confirmed that the decision I made is the right one, I am just excited but also nervous about the last big uncertainty that expects me here: Tomorrow I will have my first day at PromoBears.

As I dont want to overlength this post I will tell you about my plans for Groningen the next time - so be excited to hear what my goals for my personal development are...

Dadj

No comments:

Post a Comment