Saturday, January 29, 2011

Instructions: How to repair your laptop (for amateurs) !

In order to give my post a little more structure I will use bold headlines this time: nice, he? :)

Dadj vs. Laptop
Well.. the last week was a huge fight between me and my laptop. I bought this Sony-Stuff almost exactly 3 years ago and after 1 year Sony already repaired it for me because I always got blue screens... If I remember correct it was something with the 3D card at that time.. and it is the same right now.

It started one day during the last week when playing bubble Island on facebook (I love this game, thx Hanna for introducing it to me ^^,  - but I hate what it did to my laptop :( ) and suddenly my screen got black. Windows told me something about "Anzeigefehler"..

Well so I tried to solve the problem - and this may also be a useful instructions guide for you too:

1. re-start, re-start, re-start
Just try restarting the laptop as often as possible, a few times you probably just can enter windows accidently and it works (at least for a few minutes) - use these minutes wisely: you dont know when you can access windows the next time!

2. Make use of the Windows-Starthilfe (starting help?),
When the laptop does not allow you to enter windows, it sometimes offers you to use the Starthilfe, there the laptop checks your system and tries to repair it.
Once again: if he is able to repair the system: be thankful and use the time you have, you never know when the next crash comes..

3.Tell everybody about your problems
A collegue at work explained this strategy to me: Instead of trying to figure out problems on your own..just tell everybody about your problems.. there always is somebody who can give you serious advice (besides the typical suggestions like: "Did you try to restart it?" or "Buy a new one!", bla bla
As a personal tipp: Crying and looking really desperate might help you ! Girls could also probably just wear a top with a big cleavage?!

4. Figure out what the problem is
This step goes hand in hand with step3, as you tell everybody about your laptop-problem in order to figure out what the problem is. In the ideal case: just hand your laptop over to this person and ask him to repair it for you. If you dont want to come across to rude offer something in exchange: eg. people like to eat, so cook something (only if you can cook!!!!)

5. Shout and Scream
Shout and Scream towards your laptop.. even a slight hit on the keyboard can help - not to rescue the laptop but to get ride of aggressions. Please be aware, that if you are too rude, this could already be the last step for you and you do not need to continue reading this instructions.

6.Trial & Error
6.1.Advanced options

If not even the Starthilfe can help you anymore, go to the "advanced options" that are offered to you, when the Starthilfe tells you "We couldnt repair your laptop: do you want to send a message to the Windows headquarter to avoid such situations in future?" (HaHa, this is btw the best part: How can I send a notification to the Windows headquarter?? I dont have internet - I can not even access Windows..haha.. this option is really hilarious! :)). Anyway in the advanced options just try everything to rescue the laptop. Even if you figured out your 3D graphics card is damaged, just try to repair your hard discs. It can (like in my case) give you 2 extra days of laptop usage! Again my advice: use the time your windows is working as good as possible, you never know when he crashes again!

6.2. Safety-Mode Reparation
In some cases even though your laptop does not allow you to enter Windows, you probably can acces the Safety-Mode. If you can, try to repair everything you can. If your 3D graphic card is damaged just deactivate it, and try how far you can go without it.
*This is the step where I am right now, so far (oke it's only been 1,5 hours) Facebook, Skype, Itunes, Youtube + Ally McBeal is working - I dont need more right now. So thats fine even if the graphics are not perfect :)

6.3 go back to 1.re-start, re-start, re-start
Luckily I am not here yet. But if there will be problems again even with the deactivated card, I will just start all over again trying to repair everything


6.4 Living in Safety-Mode
Just live here and try if this is sufficent. Btw: of course its not!

7. Steal somebodys laptop
The headline says everything, try not to get caught..

8. buy a new laptop
Either from friends, from a dutch Media-markt or go to Bremen and buy one with a german keyboard there.

I hope this instructions will help you the next time you have problems with your laptop. If not you can of course always ask me for help - haha !

Going out in Groningen:
The first two real party-nights in Groningen are over... One night with some studenthouse-collegues going to Backhuis, a really really nice alternative-rock disco. The Killers, The Hives, Mgmt, Kings of Leons, Gossip, hard-fi, etc etc were just desytroyed but a little bit too much of 70ies-disco-stuff; but yeah nice night! I didnt drink too much, because I was afraid of riding the bicycle home. :)

"Alleen n klein biertje" was responisble for a long Monday-Night with some Aiesecers at the Rumbar. Proving my dutch skills was nice, but I hope this wont make every monday night that long - more self discipline is necessary! :) The Club was not that awesome btw. A little bit too much people for too less space. This time I was a bit drunk, and still I was able to ride the bicycle home - yesssaa.. so this won't stop me in future :)

Yesterday I was first time eye witness at the Powerhour. 2 Guys from my studenthouse, one of them was Daan de Vries (he wanted to be mentioned in my blog :D he would also be pleased if you add him on facebook - haha; btw: did you know that: "de Vries" is the 2nd most common surname in the Netherlands after Jansen (Jensen?)) were drinking for 1 hour every minute one shot of beer! Ziehrer Creek: we have to adopt this drinking game, in 2012 :). Yesterday, the funny thing about it was that they went to bed short afterwards as they had to study the next day ^^


Aiesec-Livestream
Last but not least a few words about the Rewards & Recognition Award on Thursday, where Aiesec Vienna honoured some people for their performance during the last term. I won the matching competition award, for having been the person that first found an internship in this term. During the ceremony in Vienna, we had a short livestream-skype talk (luckily my laptop worked that night :D). As a price I will get an Ipod-shuffle - yippieyippie, so thanks to everybody who made this possible and who supported me while I was searching for an intership. No names here, people that helped me, know it anyway... :)

Allright.. looking forward to next week! : )
Dadj

1 comment: